Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Boo State of Illinois

I just found out today that my only reason for voting has been non-existent this whole time. Frank Calabrese, a senior at the UI, is running against incumbent Naomi Jakobsson for State Representative. I have been really excited about this because Frank wants to fight for increased University funding, among other things I strongly agree with. Not to mention he's an Orange Krush member. ANYWAY, I was perusing his website today to find out that his district, 103, which includes most of C-U falls about 500 feet short of my house! Well, it's really a little bit more than that, but literally 4 seconds in the car. CRAP. He's the only reason I was going to stroll into my polling place this year. Forget the Presidential election, this is a major catastrophe. Oh why did I buy a house in district 105? I've even disliked Jakobsson since the last time I voted (when I still lived in 103).

The worst part about it is that Jakobsson thinks Calabrese is a joke, and they're even spinning some crap about how since he wasn't elected student senate president, the students must not like him. Exqueeze me? Baking powder? I love how they exclude the fact that most of the 30,000+ students don't even know when that election is, not to mention that those who do know when it is only know about the candidates from their names written in chalk on the quad! They're also claiming Jakobsson has a record of strong support for the UI. Yeah, so much support that our funding has been dwindling recently. Good job Naomi, I guess I better vote for you since you have my best interests at heart. OH WAIT! I can't even be sarcastic about that BECAUSE I'M IN THE 105TH DISTRICT BY 2 FEET!!!

The moral of this story is that you should vote for Frank Calabrese on election day since I can't.

Update: One of my friends says he lived next door to Frank, and didn't think too highly of him, so I don't feel so bad for living outside the district anymore. I still don't like Naomi Jakobsson though.

No comments: